How to Be a Better Listener: The Fine Art of Listening Well
Availability and Delivery Options
Registering an Individual? Use this.
Registering your group? Use this.
Listening well is one of the greatest gifts we can give our fellow humans, yet most of us do a lousy job of listening. While the other person is talking, we’re fidgeting with a smartphone, thinking about what we want to say, looking over the speaker’s shoulder, or lost in our own thoughts.
In this mini-course, you’ll gain practical tools you can put to use right away to improve your listening habits.
By improving your listening skills, you’ll be able to learn new information, gain the respect of your colleagues, friends, and family members, and you’ll build more positive relationships with the important people in your life.
Upon completion of this course, you should know:
- What good listeners do that most people don’t
- The psychology of good listening
- Tools to immediately improve your listening skiills
Who Should Take This Training?
This training is designed for IT professionals including help desk technicians, server administrators, network admins, DBAs, coders, CIOs, analysts, and any other IT staff members who need to improve their interpersonal relationships with customers, co-workers, and anyone else.
The prospective learner should have an open mind and be willing to challenge long-held beliefs about how to listen to other people.
Section 01: Why This Course Matters and How it Works
- Lesson 01-01: How to Take This Course
- Lesson 01-02: Why Good Listening Skills Matter
Watch this sample lesson on why good listening skills matter.
Section 02: Active Listening
- Lesson 02-01: What Does it Mean to Be an Active Listener?
- Lesson 02-02: Roadblocks to Active Listening
Watch this sample lesson on roadblocks to active listening.
Section 03: The Art of Listening Well
- Lesson 03-01: Listening as an Art Form
- Lesson 03-02: Six Different Types of Listeners
Watch this sample lesson on the art of listening well.
Section 04: The Science of Listening Well
- Lesson 04-01: The Psychology of Listening
- Lesson 04-02: The Anatomy and Physiology of Listening
Watch this sample lesson on the psychology of listening.
Section 05: Mindful Listening
- Lesson 05-01: What is Mindfulness?
- Lesson 05-02: Mindful Listening
- Lesson 05-03: Listening with Your Body (Non-Verbal Cues)
Watch this sample lesson on mindful listening.
Section 06: Practical Listening
- Lesson 06-01: Critical Listening
- Lesson 06-02: Informational Listening
- Lesson 06-03: Empathic Listening
- Lesson 06-04: Listening to a Speaker Who Makes You Angry
- Lesson 06-05: Dealing with a Speaker Who Rambles
- Lesson 06-06: Listening to a Speaker Who is Spreading Misinformation
Watch this sample lesson on dealing with a speaker who makes you feel angry.
Section 07: Problematic Listening Habits
- Lesson 07-01: The Argumentative Listener (Listening to Prove the Speaker Wrong)
- Lesson 07-02: The Narcissistic Listener (Turns the Conversation Around to Make it All About Themself)
Section 08: Top 10 Ways to Be a Better Listener
- Lesson 08-01: Top 10 Ways to Be a Better Listener
Section 09: The Conclusion
- Lesson 09-01: What to do With Your New Listening Skills