How to Master Emotional Intelligence for IT Pros: How to Use Emotional Intelligence to Build Great Relationships in the Workplace
Availability and Delivery Options
Registering an Individual? Use this.
Registering your group? Use this.
Emotional Intelligence (EI), combined with technical competence, allows you to build a successful career. Your technical skills allow you to perform the tasks of your job, while your EI skills allow you to work well with your co-workers and customers. In this seven-section course, you'll learn how to recognize emotions in yourself and others, how to respond appropriately to emotions, how to manage your own emotional responses, and how to influence a desired emotional response in others.
Upon completion of this course, the student should be able to:
- Recognize emotions in themself and others
- Respond appropriately to emotions
- Manage their own emotional responses
- Influence a desired emotional response in others
Who Should Take This Training?
This training is designed for IT professionals including help desk technicians, server administrators, network admins, DBAs, coders, CIOs, analysts, and any other IT staff members who need to improve their interpersonal relationships with customers, co-workers, and anyone else.
The prospective learner should have an open mind and be willing to challenge long-held beliefs about how to interact successfully with other people.
Section 01: Introduction to Emotional Intelligence
- Lesson 01-01: Introducing Emotional Intelligence
- Lesson 01-02: What is Emotional Intelligence
- Lesson 01-03: Does Emotional Intelligence Actually Work?
- Lesson 01-04: Hiring Story (Tech Skills vs. EQ)
- Lesson 01-05: Importance of Emotional Labor
- Lesson 01-06: Emotional Labor Activity
Watch this sample lesson on why Emotional Intelligence skills are important for your career.
Section 02: Measuring Your Emotional Intelligence Skills
- Lesson 02-01: Self-Assessment: How Emotionally Intelligent Are You?
Section 03: Self-Awareness
- Lesson 03-01: Expanding Emotional Vocabulary
- Lesson 03-02: Activity--Listing Emotions
- Lesson 03-03: How to Identify Emotions
- Lesson 03-04: Activity--Reacting to Others
- Lesson 03-05: How Emotions Impact Action
- Lesson 03-06 Activity--How Emotions Affect Others
- Lesson 03-07: Identifying Multiple Emotions
- Lesson 03-08 Activity: Recognizing Multiple Emotions
- Lesson 03-09: Benefit of Expanding Emotional Vocabulary
- Lesson 03-10: Taking Ownership of Your Emotions
- Lesson 03-11 Activity: Your Best and Worst Boss
Watch this sample lesson on expanding your emotional vocabulary.
Section 04: Self-Management
- Lesson 04-01: Emotions and Marshmallows
- Lesson 04-02: Controlling Emotions
- Lesson 04-03 Activity: Keep Breathing
- Lesson 04-04: An Exercise in Restraint
Watch this sample lesson on controlling your emotions.
Section 05: Social Awareness
- Lesson 05-01: What Is Empathy?
- Lesson 05-02 Activity: Empathy Self-Assessment
- Lesson 05-03: Empathic Communication
- Lesson 05-04 Activity: Recalling Emotional Encounters
Watch this sample lesson on empathy.
Section 06: Relationship Management
- Lesson 06-01: Being Aware of Others Emotions
- Lesson 06-02: Responding Sensitively
- Lesson 06-03 Activity: Dealing with Another's Emotions
Watch this sample lesson on dealing with another person's emotions.
Section 07: Conclusion: Putting Emotional Intelligence to Work
- Lesson 07-01: Moving Forward
- Lesson 07-02: Additional Reading
- Lesson 07-03: Additional Emotional Intelligence Assessments